Friday, April 3, 2015

Book Review - Days of Throbbing Gristle, By Kevin Cole

So I am introducing my husband to a documentary that I watched a while back that just confirmed my belief that I will forever have job security.  We are watching The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.  If you have not seen it I recommend you watch it.  When I first got my job with Family and Protective Services in my area, I watched this and it showed me what I already knew.  Some people are bat shit crazy.

So I was recently approached by e-mail to review a book.  Kevin Cole spoke with me about reading his book and reviewing here for him.  I of course said I would do it.  I am all about helping out authors and getting their work out there.

So that being said....

Book Title: Days of Throbbing Gristle
Author: Kevin Cole

Alright so when I started reading this book I loved how the main character was our narrator for the whole book.  I loved how sarcastic and snarky he was.  I also loved him because my husband is English and a lot of the things he said just sounded like a regular day in my house.  It was great to have a main character that was real for me.  It's so hard to relate some characters when they are all happy and get what they want.

I was enjoying this book as I was reading it. About half way through I was little confused about Sam's sexual orientation and by the end it wasn't much better.  But I am just the kind of person who wants it straight forward.  You are either gay, straight or sing both ways.  I could never get a feel on him.  But some others could I am sure.

I did love some of the other characters as well.  Jill was awesome and I loved how while she was a Jehovah's Witness, she was not shoving in down Sam's throat.  Yes, she did talk about it but she was respecting his right to not be converted.  I loved her family as well.  It was just nice to see some that were talking about their faith but were not telling Sam he had to convert.

Now all this being said, I hated the ending.  I was truly pissed when I got to the last part of the book.  I loved everything until you get to the last few pages.  I was so angry when I got done with the book that I had to wait a little bit before I started writing this.  I just didn't want to taint all my feelings with how the ending left me.

Pros: I loved the 80s references, they were spot on.  I loved most of the characters.

Cons: The ending left a bitter taste in my mouth. I think there was some parts that could havebeen left out, just to help the story along.

Over all rating: I think that I have some people who would read this and love it, so I would recommended it to others.  It just left me with a lot of unhappy thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment